Sunday, September 26, 2010

Geologist reunion in the middle of nowhere

Appropriately, we had a small geologist's reunion at a Cambrian outcrop in west-central Utah this weekend. It was great to hang out with other paleo people, and exchange news. The drive there was a bit interesting, since my directions for the meeting place involved the rock unit they would be in, and the name of the remote canyon. I made my share of U-turns along the way, but finally turned the corner and saw their car--just where they said it would be. I spent the afternoon learning about their project and helping a little here and there.

While driving out, I saw the sunset on the pink cliffs of Bryce Canyon. (Note the yellow leaves of the cottonwood trees, which is about as much fall as comes here.) Sunday morning, I watched the sunrise over that peaceful region of pine trees, small towns and horses.


It was a long drive, but totally worth it. So nice to catch up with friends, and remember the fun we had on other field excursions.

No comments:

Post a Comment